This weekend I decided to upgrade my old Android #nowplaying app. For the new version I decided to use Kotlin and also make it usable from my Android smartwatch. Honestly, it went much smoother than expected, except for one big caveat.

Out of some weird impulse, I decided to target the Oreo SDK (26). Both my phone and my watch are Oreo based, so that wouldn’t be a problem. Yet I kept running into the weird problem that my BroadcastReceivers wouldn’t receive any intents whatsoever. Interestingly enough, the WearableListenerService I used to to listen to Messages from the watch (I want to post when I tap a button on the watch) worked almost instantly.